Polish Cities Ready For Tourists
For the past two weeks hotels, restaurants and tourists attractions across Poland have been reopening and adapting to the new regulations. The Polish cities that participate in the #CityWillWait campaign need wait no longer, because they are ready to safely welcome tourists back. That is why the campaign will continue under the new slogans – #CityIsReady #WeAreReady.
This readiness to safely welcome everyone back could be make-or-break for many businesses in tourism. A survey carried out in April by the Polish Tourism Organisation revealed that, despite the current restrictions, 30% of Poles are planning at least one trip including a hotel stay in the coming weeks.
Tourist information points have adapted to the new restrictions and have already opened in Gdansk, Warsaw, Kielce, Krakow, Lublin, Lodz, Sopot, Poznan, Olsztyn and Torun. Torun welcomed its first visitors from abroad on 14 May. They came from... Mexico (and have been staying in Poland for a long time).
This shows the importance of advisory and promotional support from local municipal and metropolitan tourist organisations or appropriate city government departments. The #CityWillWait campaign was just such an initiative. Its positive message and cooperation turned out to be the key to success. Every day people could see photos and watch videos published on social media, each with a characteristic colourful frame and hashtag. They reminded the residents and visitors alike about the most interesting locations and attractions that they could see after the restrictions related to the coronavirus pandemic were lifted. It all started with Gdansk (the originator of the campaign), Lodz, Poznan and Warsaw. They were soon followed by Lublin, Olsztyn and Torun and then Sopot, Kielce, Opole, Krakow, Szczecin and Gdynia. Now 13 cities have united to support each other and work together. Thanks to the media, the information campaign reached 1.4 million people, with new cities beginning to join the initiative launched in April.
The campaign has also been recognised abroad. It was featured in a catalogue of best practices: “An ECM Guide to Sustainable Recovery”, published by European Cities Marketing – a European network of over a hundred cities.
The reopening of business in Poland urged those cities participating in the campaign to continue it under fresh slogans – #CityIsReady and #WeAreReady. This time the campaign will focus on promoting the available tourist attractions and safe ways of spending free time in the cities that take part in the campaign. The Polish Tourism Organisation’s survey shows that locations associated with nature are to become a dominant trend in leisure. It is worth considering that green areas make up approximately 1/4 of Poznan and Gdansk. In Torun and Olsztyn it is 30%, in Gdynia 47%, in Warsaw 42%, while Sopot has a record-breaking 60%. The natural potential is enriched in those cities that have access to the sea (Gdansk, Gdynia, Sopot), a river (Warsaw, Torun, Krakow), lakes (Olsztyn, Poznan, Lublin), forests, parks and geological preserves (Kielce). These travel suggestions are set to become
a normal element of tourism for cities, one based on cultural heritage and MICE (exhibitions and congresses), in many cases. It can stimulate the development of micro- and sustainable tourism. Getting around these cities is easier thanks to the bike rental systems.
If you want to learn more about the cities that are ready to welcome tourists and about what they offer, please visit the following social media and websites:
- Gdańsk: www.visitgdansk.com, facebook.com/visitgdansk.official, instagram.com/visit_gdansk_official
- Warszawa: www.wot.waw.pl, facebook.com/WarszawskaOrganizacjaTurystyczna, www.facebook.com/Go2Warsaw/
- Poznań: www.poznan.travel, facebook.com/Poznan.travel, instagram.com/poznan.travel
- Łódź: www.lodz.travel, facebook.com/itlodz, instagram.com/lodz.travel
- Lublin: www.turystyka.lublin.eu, www.facebook.com/turystycznylublin, instagram.com/turystycznylublin
- Toruń: www.visittorun.pl, www.lottorun.pl, www.torun.pl, facebook.com/LokalnaOrganizacjaTurystycznaTorun
- Olsztyn: www.visit.olsztyn.eu/, www.facebook.com/mit.olsztyn
- Sopot: www.visit.sopot.pl, facebook.com/SopockaOrganizacjaTurystyczna
- Kielce: https://www.facebook.com/kielce.oficjalna/
- Opole: www.opole.pl , facebook.com/OpoleOdkryj
- Kraków: facebook.com/KrakowExperience, www.instagram.com/krakowexperience/
- Szczecin: www.visitszczecin.eu/, facebook.com/VisitSzczecin, instagram.com/visitszczecin/
- Gdynia: www.gdynia.pl, facebook.com/Gdynia, facebook.com/gdynskaradaturystyczna, instagram.com/gdynia_official