Filharmonic Restaurant presents recipe for Trippa - Italian veal tripe in tomatoes and thyme.
Veal tripe (boiled, cleaned) -1800 g
3 large carrots
2 small celery roots
10 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp thyme
200 ml white wine
Pelatti (or 6 fresh tomatoes) - 1 can
3 l broth
2 l water
2 Tbsp pesto
salt, pepper, granulated garlic, sugar.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Grate the celery roots and one carrot. Slice two carrots into medium-thick slices.
- Scald the tomatoes, peel and chop them. Skip this step if you are using canned tomatoes.
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and celery roots. Fry for 2-3 minutes until the onion turns glassy. Add the grated carrot and fry for a few more minutes. Add the wine and evaporate for a few minutes. Add the water, tomatoes, broth, thyme, chilli, granulated garlic and pesto. Sugar to taste. Bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tripe and sliced carrot, and mix thoroughly. Bring to boil and reduce the heat.
- Cook on low heat until the tripe is soft and the gravy thickens － for 2-3 hours.
- Before serving, season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.